Judge weighs Washington Post's demand for government to return devices seized from reporter's home
Source: AP
Updated 6:06 PM EST, February 20, 2026
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) The federal government is asking a court to run roughshod over the First Amendment after seizing electronic devices from a Washington Post reporters Virginia home last month, an attorney for the newspaper argued Friday.
U.S. Magistrate Judge William Porter didnt rule from the bench on the newspapers request for an order requiring authorities to return the devices taken from the Virginia home of Post reporter Hannah Natanson. Porter had authorized the search by FBI agents investigating allegations that a Pentagon contractor illegally leaked classified information to Natanson.
Porter said he intends to issue a decision before a follow-up hearing scheduled for March 4. I have a pretty good sense of what Im going to do here, the magistrate said without elaborating.
Pentagon contractor Aurelio Luis Perez-Lugones was arrested on Jan. 8 and charged with unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents. Perez-Lugones is accused of taking home printouts of classified documents from his workplace and later passing them to Natanson.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/fbi-washington-post-search-warrant-classified-documents-b94ca2098e653e50b1f8d448e205faa3
Seinan Sensei
(1,480 posts)Sounds familiar.
By any chance, were any of the documents found in Natansons bathroom?
Ocelot II
(129,946 posts)They've been doing that pretty effectively themselves.